Wednesday, June 20, 2007

COLLECTING CHICKENS

Okay - I'm finally giving in. I've been blogging for almost six months now, and it's clear i still have a lot to learn.....but the ladies at Church are asking me why I haven't mentioned my "Collecting Chickens." Carol's Cheery Chickens - hmmm - Yes, I totally admit I'm obsessed with collecting small, medium sized, and even chicken eggs! My husband recently went to San Francisco and brought me back a chicken with an attitude!!! When I learn how to blog with pictures (don't expect that any time soon) but this chicken has a kingly looking hat on and is strutting his stuff. I love the beautiful pastel colors on this chicken! Because I have a chicken egg plate that has the same colors that I put my "church jewelry in." Our Son and Daughter-in-Law have traveled extensively and in the curio cabinet I have the unique collection of smaller chickens that you have to see to believe! They are magnificent! Then, there's the blown glass chickens which are breathtaking! I remind myself this has been 35 years of collecting chickens due to the fact that our "home Pastor's wife" in Missouri (2,000 in attendance) gave me some fabulous advice "Carol as you begin in the Ministry, start collecting something or you'll get odds and ends of stuff you might not want." So, I chose chickens and have so many I really don't display all of them. But, my daughter recently gave me a side-board piece of furniture that goes with the china hutch for the dining room and it has lots of room for chicken dishes, vases, etc. I'm a happy camper with the great collection I have and am grateful for indeed! Oh, and some are even outside!!!! My husband who is great at electrical work actually put small spotlights to shine on my chickens which are displayed on top of our beautiful white cabinets in the kitchen! (& a dimmer switch to boot!!!) How cool is that!!! Well, I've had fun talking about my chicken collection; how about you? I'd love to hear your comments on what you collect? Don't chicken out on telling me....a-ha!!!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Carol,

I like carousels. I had a few of them but most of them ended up broken so I have not bought any new ones recently. I like that you can find them with different styles and looks, like your chickens. Each one is unique. I really enjoy observing the sky, I have or had many pictures of the sky where you could not imagine or would think it was real but it was. I like capturing the different colors of the sky when the clouds are filling the sky and when they are few, when the sun is setting in the water and when it is rising. The ways of the stars. I could go on but I will stop.

Mary

Angie said...

The lady who was responsible for me coming to know Jesus as my saviour use to sell "Copperguild" home accessories(something like Home Interiors). So I started collecting copper stuff. But having been raised on a ranch I have always liked butterflies . So I collect both. The butterfly reminds me of the new life I now have in the Lord and out of the cocoon(world)that keeps us prisoners. With Jesus we are free and we can fly above circumstances. Praise His Holy Name!!!!!

Carol Donnelson said...

I love to hear what everyone collects! Thanks Mary and Angie R. Awesome comments!