Monday, April 23, 2007

GOOD & GREAT

The difference between good and great can often be the willingness to structure surprising moments around calendar opportunities. I'm thinking that although Mother's Day will be a grand occasion for me, I still have a Mother-in-Law to remember each year. What would she need or want to have a GREAT day? I'll be challenged by what my husband says because it's his Mom and of course I always love his suggestions. Our kids have utmost respect for me and as always it's a GREAT day for me! As our special day gets closer, I frequent Starbuck's very early to take my mind off the suffering my Mamma had before she passed on. Today I walked up to the counter and told the barista people that I wanted a cup of tea. (I usually get a Latte and they know that). Tom asked if I wanted Calm tea, causing me to wonder exactly how frazzled I looked. When I said "Calm would be good," he said, "Great, because today Starbucks is offering a free cup of Calm" to all customers." "Okay the Calm" tea didn't wash away my pain, but to this very exact moment and in the future I will remember this event. They didn't have to give me the tea, but they organized the event, and I benefited. My thouhts were it was not calculated marketing strategy that Starbucks did; it was just the little things people do when they take the time to care. How GREAT is that? It's always a joy to share my thoughts! Have a very GREAT Monday!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Today has been one of those days for me too! Although I feel so undeserving of any extra benefits and mercy from our Lord, He has graciously supplied me with blessings. My children ACTUALLY did their chores and without complaining (huge blessing)and that mountain of housework and laundry seemed to miraculously disappear as I consistently did a little here and there. Maybe my view of what is important changed some too. I believe so wholeheartedly that when we, as Jesus said to Martha regarding her sister Mary, "choose the better part" everything falls into place unexplainably.
Carol doesn't it make you feel so special to know that your Lord loves you so much and knows you so well that He even cares enough to make sure you get a free cup of tea. He knows your pain and the sadness you feel as you think about your mother and He cares! It is amazing to me that the Creator of the Universe cares about everything (big and small) that happens to us. But He's just cool like that....
We love you and you, my sweet friend, are an inspiration to all who have the priviledge of sharing a part of your day.