Thursday, April 12, 2007

FORGIVENESS

A halfhearted prayer of "Lord, please help me to forgive, but let me rip out his heart first" probably won't avail that much. While honesty with God is important, there still needs to be a desire for doing what is right. When the desires of our hearts are bound up in our own desires, our ultimate goal is to please God. Then we can focus on what the Bible urges, we can forgive because we understand that He is love and that "all things work for the good of those who love Him." (Rom. 8:28) Be honest - "Lord, you know I'm struggling with wanting to retaliate, but my desire is to please you greater....I forgive." This sounds "preachy" but I can remember the times I did not have a forgiving heart, and the hurt just kept returning. He says to forgive 70 X 7! That's a lot of forgiveness! (It's almost Friday...... :)

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Honesty is the key to this I believe. When I feel like swinging a swiffer broom at my husband (and yes I have done this before, but thankfully he closed the door before it took his head off) I tell God exactly how I feel. Many times my prayers are teary "Heavenly dad, did you just hear what he said to me?---please go spank him" Then I somehow start feeling better and take back my request for God to punish my husband and start down the path of forgiveness. When you feel so angry that you can't take it anymore--Go to God! Tell him honestly every emotion you feel. He doesn't want "churchy" prayers, He wants honesty. It isn't for His benefit either, confession is for our benefit. He already knows whats going on, but wants us to talk about it with Him and open the door for Him to help us to forgive!
Forgiveness is not an option according to the Bible, it is a command! Thankfully though, God knows we have big issues with this as human beings and offers all kinds of help with it.... we just have to ask for it!
Be "preachy" sista' Carol, I love it and so need it!

Carol Donnelson said...

Thank you for your valued honest comments, Cheryl. It initiates a journey to healing. I am living proof that God does and will heal injuries of the soul. With His help and caring thoughts as a guide, we can overcome the pain of any past. And like you have said a strategy that the world views as week...so true! Have a very terrific day. One of my favorite sayings is "Please tell God about it." Also, as you say, the truth shall set you free!