Saturday, April 7, 2007

Easter Traditions

I think it's great to recall Easter traditions from previous years.. from being a kid myself to having kids of our own, and now watching our grandkids. As a kid we always lived on someone's farm rental property. I can remember my brother, for some reason, always hid the (real boiled decorated) easter eggs. And he would hide them in what I called the stick-a-bush blackberries patch. Of course, I always tried to outdo my brother in stiff competition and I found the most! When we had our own kids, it was important that our kids were all dressed up for Easter (of course the Easter eggs were always decorated so creatively), and then at this time with our grandkids, we always watch them find plastic Easter eggs and after church go to their home for a delicious ham dinner. Oh yes, the Easter Basket tradition is still carried on. Easter Memories always included going to a marvelous Church Service and celebrating the Risen Christ! I hope your Easter tomorrow is memorable, traditional, and happy. It's a time to renew, refresh and look to a God who truly loves us to be happy, have fun, and a great time in Him!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Easter holds some great memories for me as well and what's the deal with ham? We always had ham, baked beans and potato salad....
Traditions are so important and sadly to say, this year I have not kept up with tradition. I feel a little guilty now and maybe that's a good thing---it's not quite too late yet. No "real" eggs for us though, I never enjoyed decorating them anyway. I always ended up with stained fingers. My kids are just fine with the plastic eggs, especially if there is money in them.
However, the most important tradition for any of us to pass down to our children on Easter is to teach them to take the time to reflect on exactly what it is we are celebrating. The resurrection of our Savior! This could actually be THE most important holiday, because without Christ's resurrection we would have no hope and all the decorated eggs in the world and the cutest of Easter outfits would be pointless.
Celebrate dear friends and impress on your children just how special this day truly is. God loves it when we celebrate and I believe He especially loves it when our celebration is because of His Son!

Blessings for a wonderful Easter celebration to you all....