Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How's It Going?

Well-crafted questions are portals to others' souls. We each have portions of our hearts that are clamped shut, but often they are spring-loaded and aching to be opened. Holding grudges, quiet dreams, painful struggles - each can be gently unlocked (maybe) with a question.

Many years ago, someone in the large family I'm from made a, what they thought was a profound statement, that "Carol asks too many questions." As that filtered through our family, I noticed some of the family members quit calling, writing, or bluntly, had nothing to do with me. In the first place, it wasn't true about me. As one can see, I CARE....thus the reason for my blog. To me, asking the question, "What's going on?" or "How's it going?" is an open-ended question....taking a wide-angle view...asking questions that peer beyond this week or month.

What we need to do is dig deeper...listen intently to the question THEY ask. My asking questions relates to O-T-H-E-R'-S interest(s) first. That's what it's about! Others....it's called getting mind off of S-E-L-F. By lovingly asking questions that plunge beneath the logistics of life, we selflessly look not only to the interests of others, but to our own as well.

As we create these kind, respectful thoughts that permeate the soul, we gain opportunities to better understand and love the people closest to our hearts. In fact, recently we had our immediately family (kids, grandkids) over at our home and our granddaughter asked a question..."Grandma, you really like to change furniture, don't you?" (A super great question) .... As opposed a rude comment would be "You changed the furniture again!"

In summary, God designed us to care for each individual's life in a place called home, where we sit down with a smile and ask "How's it going for you today?" That my dear friend is caring! I certainly pray and hope you feel loved and cared about. .....and those are my very caring thoughts this moment, this new day!

No comments: