Friday, November 16, 2007

Compatibility in Marriage

As I wondered about and all over with such an exciting attitude toward our 40th Wedding Anniversary Sunday, and everyone gasping saying "40 years!..our's didn't even last 40 days!!!!" My excitement draws a crowd; guess my voice goes up a notch when I really get excited! (I'd rather be excited, than drainy, draggy any day!!!) So, I have been thinking about the old fashioned marriage term, compatibility.

What does that mean to me? I'm on a soapbox because I believe compatibility in marriage works! Here it is in a nutshell:

My Husband and I: Endure long and are patient (him being more patient and me enduring) .....one or the other has these marvelous character qualities.

Not envious and never boil over with jealousy for each other. (In other words, I don't have a chain around his ankle and he is not envious when I am honored for things.

We are not boastful or vainglorious, and we do not display ourselves haughtily; not conceited, arrogant and inflated with pride. Gratitude and appreciation will extend well beyond 40 years, believe you me!!!!! That is a must!!!!

Rude and unmannerly......after all these years, we still say please and thank you!!!

Suffered wrong?? - GET OVER IT....BE FAIR.....plain and simple. (It's not fair for one person to really be doing his/her part and the other one going off in outer orbit messing things up!!!! I'm a proverbial optimist and actually he is too....that is definitely compatibility!

Ouch....here's a SUPER PHENOMENAL ONE: Right and truth must prevail. When I was a kid there was one thing I got a "whippin'" for.....if I told a lie...I'm so truthful now.....honestly it angers me when I know someone is not telling the truth to me! Hello!! Trust is vital! We do not rejoice at injustice. This pushes mine and his button! Oh boy!

Bearing up under anything and everything that comes. I have a few shock absorber shoes and callused knees in prayer for this one. We are ever ready to believe the best of each other. Our hopes are fadeless under all circumstances.

Our love never fails -

..... it never fades out or become obsolete or comes to an end; we speak truly, deal truthfully, and live truly. We are enfolded in love and have grown up in every way and in all things, delighting in one another, forgiving, and esteeming each other.

Our marriage grows stronger each day. My desire is to honor and praise my husband; I confess that I am a submitted wife, simply because I want to be and I recognize and thank God for my husband who is head over me, and I take on the challenge in Proverbs 31:10-31; I am as this woman is - a loving, successful, submitted wife and I can guarantee you, he is committed as equally.

We discussed a portion of our goals for the next 40 years..... "Have fun" our kids always say (I think I take life far too serious) and "tell my hubby at least a hundred times how much I love him"; and his goal (are you ready?????) "Can't wait to see me with beautiful silver hair" .....I do tease him that he "just married me for my beautiful red hair!!!" Oh, his other goal - this is a good one - "give me the 14 hugs a day which I need to survive!!!!" There's a lot more, but I have to go pick up the flowers this morning for this extraordinary event!!!

No comments: