Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This Is Why I Care........I Love Living In God's Garden

I want to share this story that a PW (Pastor's Wife) friend of mine shared with me. I hope it touches your heart like it did mine.

Blue Roses

Why do I always have to be the one that starts to do
laundry and there's no detergent? I guess it was time
for me to do my "Dollar Store" run, which included
light bulbs, paper towels, trash bags and Clorox. So
off I go.

I scurried around the store, gathered up my goodies,
and headed for the checkout counter only to be blocked
in the narrow aisle by a young man that appeared to be
about sixteen-years-old. I wasn't in a hurry, so I
patiently waited for the boy to realize that I was
there. This was when he waved his hands excitedly in
the air and declared in a loud voice, "Mommy, I'm over
here."

It was obvious now that he was mentally challenged,
and also startled as he turned and saw me standing so
close to him, waiting to squeeze by. His eyes widened
and surprise exploded on his face as I said, "Hey
Buddy, what's your name?"

"My name is Denny and I'm shopping with my mother," he
responded proudly. "Wow," I said, "that's a cool name;
I wish my name was Denny, but my name is Hal."

"Hal like Halloween?" he asked.

"Yes," I answered. "How old are you, Denny?"

"How old am I now, Mommy?" he asked his mother as she
slowly came over from the next aisle.

"You're fifteen-years-old Denny; now be good boy and
let the man pass by."

I acknowledged her and continued to talk to Denny for
several more minutes about summer, bicycles and
school. I watched his brown eyes dance with excitement
because he was the center of someone's attention. He
then abruptly turned and headed toward the toy
section.

Denny's mom had a puzzled look on her face and thanked
me for taking the time to talk with her son. She told
me that most people wouldn't even look at him, much
less talk to him. I told her that it was my pleasure,
and then I said something I have no idea where it came
from, other than by the prompting of the Holy Spirit. I
told her that there are plenty of red, yellow and pink
roses in God's garden, however, "Blue Roses" are very
rare and should be appreciated for their beauty and
distinctiveness. You see, Denny is a "Blue Rose" and
if someone doesn't stop and smell that rose with their
heart and touch that rose with their kindness, then
they've missed a blessing from God.

She was silent for a second, then with a tear in her
eye she asked, "Who are you?" Without thinking I said,
"Oh, I'm probably just a daffodil or maybe even a
dandelion," but I sure love living in God's garden."

No comments: