Sunday, August 30, 2009

So Closely Connected in Marriage

Those of you that have the privilege of being married, did you ever wonder how close you really are to each other? My husband is definitely a LEADER.... several of my friends have asked me lately why I don't blog about marriage. I don't know the answer to that question. I just don't. We have what I call a "Private Marriage" having been in the public eye for thirty-eight years! Retirement brings connection even more closely than you could ever think or imagine. You are forced to discuss things whether you want to or not. He sees me all the time and I see him. In that regard, I truly love it! And yet, we let go....meaning he can do what he wants to do and the same with me.

Last night we had a great time with some friends of our's that have been married the same amount of years (42) and we noted with interest, they have the same goals...that was very interesting and we came to the same conclusion, don't interupt when wife or hubby is telling a story. So, that was cool!

Now, tonight we will be having a super great time with a couple who are awesome, so I am thrilled we are "stepping out of the box" - the normal seeming like rut of things, so life is good in the Donnelson household. A love that will not ever walk away and gets closer each day. Quality time, words of affirmation, acts of service, physical touch; the joy of being able to express our love and feeling truly loved in return. He shows so much love to me in so many ways.

Many of us married are trained to analyze prolems and create solutions. We forget that marriage is a relationship, not a project to be completed or a problem to solve. One way to learn new patterns is to establish a daily sharing time in which each of you will talk about things - what's happening to you and how you feel about them. Yes, ladies...men have feelings...and are emotional....make a choice to show your love and admiration (& I might add gratitude) but most of all, TRUST and you will be closely connected in marriage.

No comments: