Friday, April 11, 2008

Respect

Webster's Dictionary defines RESPECT: "an act of giving particular attention : consideration; high or special regard : esteem, the quality or state of being esteemed."

The ladies at church are asking me to give a lesson on "Respect." As they have gotten older, they say they have noticed that there is no respect given for their Mom by the younger world. On the other hand, there are ladies that are Mom's themselves, but have no respect whatsoever for their Mom. Hence, they fear they will "turn out like their Mom" therefore, they turn away from their own Mom.

Respect is a foreign word to some people. We should have ultimate respect for our husbands, our kids, our in-laws, our friends, especially our parents who have "weathered the storms of life" and we can learn from their tremendous love and respect. I can remember my Mom always saying, "Respect your elders." To me that meant a Sister who is older than me; actually anyone that was older and wise, so it would behoove me to learn something for my own good from these women. The Bible says we who are older should teach the younger and be an example. I take that literally and am proud to help someone who wants to learn from me.

Society has dictated (unfortunately) that your parents don't know anything...they are old foggies. To me, that's where the respect has been lost and it's tragic. If we don't teach our kids respect, they will have chaos when the child gets to the teens years.....no respect, to me, means they will have an attitude and that could get them in a lot of trouble.

One of my pet peeves is knowing someone is not respecting me and believe me you, when you get upward in years, you see how some people place you in an OLD category and they truly don't have any respect whatsoever and to be quiet frank, we have a choice of letting it annoy us, or feel sorry for the person who has no respect or clue what it means to respect an elder. Okay so I've been on a soapbox today....and do I want to teach the younger women at church RESPECT.....most definitely!!! I will patiently wait until the next class and thank them for wanting to know! It's an interesting subject especially since most of the ladies are Mom's themselves and it's an amazing discovery that the way they treat their Mom is exactly the way they will be treated when their children grow up. The Bible says we reap what we sow.

I feel sorry for the person who has never learned the meaning of respect and does not have that character quality. I'm so happy we raised our kids who truly love and respect us. .....and I know they care so much. I also thank God for the mutual respect given to us by the church members. What do you think? Do you have respect for your elders?......meaning high consideration as Webster Dictionary says? And, THANKS dear ladies for getting me pumped up about a topic I believe is very relevant to our lives.

My heart is so touched by this caring subject! My husband and I had a pre-date discussion about it last night (the subject of respect) and perhaps ......to be continued tonight. I can dig it!!!!!

No comments: